Full-Time Transport Project Lead – Integrated Passenger Transport Unit (Chelmsford)
|Company||Essex County Council|
|Job expires in|
|Job Categories||Transport Leader.|
|Salary||up to £34k.|
Use the form below to email your application to the employer directly.
You can then track the status of your application through your coachandbusjobs.com account.
- Contract: Permanent
- Working Hours: Full-time
- Salary: Up to £34,000 per annum
- Primary Location: Chelmsford
- Closing Date (Period for Applying) – External: 25/03/19
Job summary and Responsibilities
- Essex County Council (ECC) is one of the largest and most dynamic local authorities in the UK, serving a population of 2 million residents, and has a very successful track record of delivering transformational change. ECC anticipated change was needed in the public sector and has worked to deliver better quality at lower cost. We have an ambitious transformation agenda – one with the scope to reach every part of the council. We are changing the way we think, the way we work, and the ways in which we deliver our services. We are committed to becoming a place where individuals, partners and communities feel proud to play their role and genuinely want to belong. We’re immensely proud of our flexible working options.Job Purpose
The Transport Project Lead plays a key role in the Integrated Passenger Transport Unit’s (IPTU) Strategy, Growth, Integration and Infrastructure Teams through the planning and delivery of major projects and initiatives that deliver its integration, commercial and digital priorities for.
- Supporting the development of the county’s bus strategy including leading the development of a new localities-based approach
- Leading the development and promotion of smart ticketing solutions
- Leading oversight of the delivery of the English National Concessionary Travel Scheme (the concessionary bus pass scheme) in Essex including day to day oversight of the scheme and managing the financial and budget process
- Promoting and delivering projects around Accessibility to transport services for people with disabilities
- Liaison with key service providers
- Responding to queries from the public regarding both ECC and more general transport enquiries and complaints
- Offering professional advice (verbal and written) to senior officers and members, preparing briefing and decision papers as required.The role will:
- Work with suppliers, partners and neighbouring authorities to understand and develop local solutions, identifying and resolving issues, identifying and overcoming barriers to ensure effective delivery of key projects.
- Utilise business intelligence and insight to develop and implement projects that support the transport strategy and deliver infrastructure to support a high quality and sustainable transport network , including a new localities based approach
- Use this insight to influence and guide Senior Managers and Members in relation to potential opportunities and financial impact
- Ensure that the IPTU takes an integrated approach to service delivery in order to maximise outcomes across its responsibilities
- Support the teams safe guarding responsibilities in relation to the County Council’s transport provision for children and vulnerable adults
- Support the team’s customer contact role
- Participate in the IPTU’s emergency and continuity planning response duties
- Lead the day to day budget management for concessionary fares in partnership with the IPTU Delivery UnitService/Functional AccountabilitiesThe role will need to develop and use specialist skills, knowledge and experience to:
- Lead major projects to identify and ensure delivery of outcomes, ensuring safeguarding complies with appropriate legislation and regulation and with Council policies
- Utilise specialist skill, knowledge and experience to develop, integrate and deliver passenger transport shaping the public transport network to ensure outcomes are met
- Looking at the implications of the Bus Act 2017 to maximise opportunities to enhance open data and digital information to support service enhancement and reporting mechanisms.
leading the delivery of complex projects designed to enhance levels of service by adopting innovative approaches and developing ways to minimise costs, ensuring compliance with the overall Council strategy
- Seek to safeguard the Council’s contractual and commercial risk including those around the delivery in Essex of the English National Concessionary Travel Scheme (ENCTS)
- Oversee the day to day operation and budget management of the Concessionary Fares Scheme
- Take responsibility for finding innovative approaches to funding local solutions, with an awareness of financial constraints, to maintain key services in partnership with suppliers and key stakeholders
- Be responsible for initiating, developing and securing local transport services to ensure minimum impact on spend and resources in partnership with other stakeholders
- Be responsible for driving and delivering digital and self-serve options with customers to maximise opportunities to effectively integrate and promote services through digital platforms
- Work collaboratively to drive activities that minimise costs to ECC‘s service provision and maximise the benefit to local residents, to ensure local solutions are more cost effective
- Take responsibility for managing the implementation of integration projects to ensure outcomes are met;
o working with colleagues from different teams within ECC
o working with colleagues form other authorities.
o providing recommendations and feedback to senior leaders on potential opportunities
- Develop and maintain business intelligence regarding the passenger transport industry, including legislative, business and technical areas of operation.Specific individual and shared targets and objectives are defined annually within the performance management framework.
Knowledge, skills and experience
- Educated to degree level or the equivalent by experience
- Evidence of continuing professional development and expert knowledge in relevant professional area.
- Knowledge of procurement and contract management processes and ensuring compliance.
- Excellent negotiation and influencing skills with ability to influence stakeholders and suppliers.
- Evidence of successfully delivering outcomes in in a complex, customer facing environment.
- Experience of delivering public services in a complex, multi-stakeholder environment.
- Evidence of working collaboratively across an organisation and reconciling diverse and competing interests successfully including experience of working in a political environment, skills in understanding and responding to different perspectives and taking a cross organisational perspective.
- To have a good awareness of industry and commercial legislation and current issues.Qualification certificates should be brought to interview.As part of employment with Essex County Council (ECC) should your role require a DBS check you will be required to register with the DBS update service. The DBS update service ensures all registered DBS certificates are kept up to date and allows authorised parties to view the status of your certificate. This is an annual subscription and you will be responsible for ensuring this is maintained. For further information on the DBS update service please go to https://www.gov.uk/dbs-update-service.Essex County Council is proud to offer an excellent benefits package to all its employees. More information can be found on https://www.workingforessex.com/benefitsEssex County Council is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and vulnerable adults, and expects all employees and volunteers to share this commitment.
We seek the best talent from the widest pool of people as diversity is key to our success.
If you have any queries regarding this role, or require anything further, please contact the Essex Recruitment Team on 033 005 83330*
*Calls to this number are charged in the same way as calls to numbers starting 01 or 02, please check with your service provider.